31 posts tagged "Kate Bosworth"
Kate Bosworth always nails it in the beauty department, whether it’s her signature glowing skin or a trendy neon lip. At Wednesday’s launch party for her new app, Style Thief, she turned heads with a romantic, of-the-moment braided updo. We like to think of it as a more relaxed take on the milkmaid. Stylist Bridget Brager twisted Bosworth’s strands into a slightly messy tangle of plaits using just a few products. The added bonus? In addition to looking lovely, braids take your hair up and off your back, keeping you cool as the summer heats up. Get the look with the pro’s five easy steps:
1. Start by spritzing your hair with Phytovolume Actif Volumizing Spray from roots to ends.
2. Give your hair a rough blow-dry with your hands, concentrating on lifting strands away from the scalp for added volume.
3. Next, create a “disheveled, deep part” to one side.
3. Starting at the crown, begin braiding forward “so the braid falls toward the forehead, canceling the hairline, which gives a soft, romantic feel,” Brager explained. Then, start a second and third plait at the temples, braiding back on each side.
4. Add a touch of Kevin Murphy Easy Rider pomade to each braid to tame flyaways and boost shine. Loosen the braids as you go to avoid looking too “done.”
5. Weave the braids together around the back of the head, pinning them low for a “halo effect.” Finish with a light coat of L’Oréal Paris Elnett Hairspray. Don’t fret if a few pieces fall out—it adds to the bohemian vibe. We also suggest using bobby pins that match your hair color for a seamless finish.
If there was one table you’d want to sit at tonight, it would likely be the one belonging to Stella McCartney. I like to think of her as the Regina George of the Met Gala (albeit a far less blond, way better dressed, and much nicer version at that). And with McCartney playing the role of queen bee, she naturally arrived at the museum with her gang of gorgeous plastics in tow, which included Cara Delevingne, Kate Bosworth, Reese Witherspoon, and Rihanna. But before they hit the red carpet, the primping party started in a balloon-filled suite at The Carlyle (complete with McCartney’s monogrammed undies), where makeup artist Vincent Oquendo was charged with readying the “ladies who wore the pants” tonight—McCartney and her Brit sidekick, Delevingne. “It was a girl party—Stella’s girls are fun girls,” said Oquendo. “I’ve done some red-carpet things before where you’re there and it’s like a hostage situation, and this was not that at all…Stella has good juju and it’s infectious.” While he kept things “dewy and pretty” for the designer with individual lashes, he created a smoky cat-eye accentuated by a full band of fringe for Delevingne (as if her arches weren’t already enough competition). For Rihanna, however, it was all about hair, “When she first walked [into the room] she had this gorgeous lion’s mane—it was just divine,” he noted. The guest list was certainly tight this year (likely to make room for all the Charles James-inspired ball gowns), but if you had actually made it through those storied doors, Oquendo assured me that you could indeed take a seat with Stella’s star-studded crew. (The dress code: On Mondays they wear white tie.)
Here, the step-by-step to Delevingne’s envy-inducing lid look:
1. Create the winged shape using a soft brown pencil, smudge, and set with matte, taupe shadow.
2. Next, run over the entire lid with a cream shadow, blending it up into the crease. (Oquendo applied Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Cocoa.) “You have to blend it quickly because it sets really fast, but once it sets it’s waterproof, so it’s perfect for the red carpet because it doesn’t move,” he explained. “The trick is to put something under it first because it doesn’t blend as beautifully as powders and pencils do.”
3. Pack a bronze pigment over the waterproof shadow to build depth. Try Laura Mercier Illuminating Eye Colour in Earth Glow.
4. For definition, trace along the inner rim of the eye with black, waterproof gel liner and go “full on” with the mascara—applying to both top and bottom lashes.
5. Place a full set of falsies on the upper lash line and use a lash curler to gently bond the faux fringe with your natural set. Apply another coat of mascara to finish.
6. For Delevingne-like brows, fill in and elongate your arches “just a touch” with a combo of soft, sheer powder (like MAC’s Omega Eye Shadow) and pencil (try Anastasia Brow Wiz in Medium Ash). “I always go cool on the eyebrows—especially if I use bronzey [shades] on the eye. I like the contrast to make the eyes pop in a subtle way.”
Between film premieres, parties, and celeb-studded events around the globe, this week was full of memorable hair and makeup looks (including Solange Knowles’ tangerine eyeliner and Lupita N’yongo’s graphic wing). Here, we recap five more of our favorite beauty moves.
Camilla Belle; Jimmy Choo’s Choo.08 Party; Beverly Hills, CA
When you’re wearing prim neutrals, add a loud mouth to keep things youthful. Belle opted for MAC’s nearly-neon Retro Matte lipstick in Flat Out Fabulous.
Chanel Iman; Spotify Brunch at the Soho Desert House; La Quinta, CA
You know we love a good dye job. Chanel Iman rocked the trend at Coachella with rainbow streaks of pink and teal.
Kate Bosworth; Alexander Wang x H&M Party; Indio, CA
Coachella veteran Kate Bosworth knows how to beat the heat in style. Laid-back waves and flushed cheeks (à la Stella McCartney FW14) looked effortless and fresh.
Jourdan Dunn; StyleCaster + UGG Coachella Party; Villa Sereno, CA
Blue eyeliner typically conjures up bad prom photos from the eighties. But Jourdan Dunn’s take—worn on the lower lash line with bare skin—looks as cool as her snow cone (and conjures up memories of Chanel’s most recent Resort show).
Emma Stone; The Amazing Spider-Man 2 Premiere; Berlin, Germany
This Amazing Spider-Man 2 star has been sporting some winning beauty looks as of late. Bouncy, flapper-inspired curls and a wash of pale blue eyeshadow played off her Chanel dress.
Last night’s launch party for Choo.08 (a line of more practical, sporty footwear from Jimmy Choo) in Beverly Hills celebrated accessories, but there were also plenty of covetable beauty looks on display. Similar to shoe shopping, it’s hard to single out just one hairstyle or makeup move and label it my favorite, so I thought I’d feature all of the standout moments (like Solange Knowles’ tangerine liner, Sandra Choi’s buzzed crop, and Emmy Rossum’s inky eyes and inventive nail art) from the evening’s fete: Click here to see the slideshow.
A bold blazer and an even bolder lid look on Solange Knowles.
Make the most of your moons with evil eyes like Emmy Rossum.
…or try metallic navy shadow in lieu of basic black.
Sandra Choi shows off her ear cuff with an undercut.
Between film premieres, parties, and celeb-studded events around the globe, this week was full of memorable hair and makeup looks (including Katy Perry’s emerald strands and Lupita N’yongo’s modern pouf). Here, we recap five more of our favorite beauty moves.
Kate Bosworth; Tiffany & Co.’s Blue Book Party; New York, NY
Kate Bosworth always adds something a little unexpected to her beauty look. At last night’s Tiffany & Co. party, she expertly teamed tangerine lips (à la Rag & Bone Spring ’14) with a powder puff pink gown.
Emma Stone; The Amazing Spider-Man 2 world premiere; London, England
Further proof that berry lips work all year-round—and we love how they complement Stone’s canary yellow dress.
Hilary Rhoda; Tiffany & Co.’s Blue Book Party; New York, NY
Sometimes it’s chic to match your makeup to your outfit. Hilary Rhoda’s icy blue shadow and navy sweater looked fresh—not retro—with a messy updo and nude gloss.
Diane Kruger; FX Networks Screening of Fargo; New York, NY
If anyone can pull off a frosted lip, it’s Diane Kruger. The actress opted for a toned-down version of Rodarte’s sparkling Fall ’14 beauty look, then added some depth with a smoky eye.
Constance Jablonski; Tiffany & Co.’s Blue Book Party; New York, NY
Jablonski may or may not have woken up like this. Smudged, lived-in liner and a messy pony looked effortless and sexy for a night on the party circuit.