Braids, Four Ways
We’ve never been bashful about sharing our love for braids in all their various incarnations on this blog—and for good reason. It’s utterly fascinating to us how one pretty basic technique (left, under, right, over) can be translated into so many different looks, all of which happen to be totally humidity-resistant. As summer winds down and an immovable raincloud settles above Manhattan, we asked the lovely ladies of Woodley & Bunny—stylist and co-founder Erin Anderson and stylist Katherine Munro—to share their favorite weather-proof braided ‘dos. Consider them good indoor activities to keep you busy during the scattered thunderstorms they’re predicting for the weekend.—Fiorella Valdesolo
The Pastel Side Plait
1. Spray a liberal amount of Sachajuan Ocean Mist through wet hair, create a side part, and then rough-dry using your hands instead of a brush.
2. Place individual colored clip-in extensions randomly throughout hair.
3. Run a pinky-sized dab of Sachajuan Hair Wax through the ends.
4. Gather hair to one side, do a two-strand braid, and tie with an elastic. Gently pull pieces out of the braid from the center to create a more lived-in look.
5. Finish with Sachajuan Volume Powder.
The Boku Braids
1. Apply a generous amount of Sachajuan Mousse all over and a dollop of Sachajuan Root Lift at the roots for added body. Blow-dry with a round brush.
2. Part hair in the middle and divide each section in two, French braiding both side sections to the nape of the neck and leaving the back sections loose. Secure with elastics.
3. Braid the loose hair using a classic three-strand braid technique and secure.
4. Leave loose or pin up randomly for allover texture.
The Braided Bun
1. Start by saturating hair with Sachajuan Mousse, then blow-dry hair with a medium-sized round brush to create volume.
2. Mist hair with Sachajuan Spray Wax before middle-parting and sectioning hair in two at the top of the head.
3. Braid each section and fasten with elastics.
4. Gather braids into a bun and secure with bobby pins.
The Tousled Frenchie
1. Blow-dry your hair using Sachajuan Straight Out Gel with a flat brush, creating a soft look.
2. Spray on a light dusting of Sachajuan Volume Powder, then, starting just above one ear, French-braid around the head and secure braid with an elastic.
3. Hide the loose tail using bobby pins, then spray hair with Sachajuan Ocean Mist. Gently pull strands out giving the braid a slept-in look.
Photo: Getty Images