Tim Blanks Remembers A Cherished Colleague-------
Luis Fernandes was my cameraman when I made videos, first for Fashion File, and later for Style.com. We worked together for 12 years, and in that time we went to some pretty extreme places: favelas in Rio, casbahs in Morocco, as well as the usual stops on the fashion circuit. Among the “Obsessives” episodes he filmed for men.style.com, Luis’ favorite was Carlo Brandell’s “keepie-uppie.” He was a rabid football fan, a right proper Portugeezer.
I was looking forward to seeing him in Milan this week, as usual. Instead, I was at Heathrow on Thursday when I got a call from one of his business partners telling me Luis died on Monday during an emergency operation on his heart. Another operation—he’d already weathered a handful of major procedures, including a quadruple bypass in his twenties. The news has flattened the photographers in Milan. Luis was one of the most popular people in “the pit,” obliging, calm, considerate, cool-headed while all around him chaos reigned. He was also hellaciously cute, with his gold tooth and wicked grin. I imagine there’ll be a lot of disconsolate p.r. girls around Milan as the news spreads.
Everyone who knew Luis is saddened, of course. He was 36, so he had a lot more living
to do. Still, he definitely made the most of the time he had. There are videos that prove so. That should be his living legacy for the rest of us.
- Summer Fridays: Tokyo for a Day With Arjan Writes of Beats Music
- EXCLUSIVE: Andreja Pejic Is in Her Own Skin for the Very First Time
- Editor Obsessions: WWAKE’s Nestled Opal and Diamond Ring
- Of Clothes and Cats: Adrian Joffe and Simone Rocha Have a Heartfelt Chat in Love‘s Latest Issue
- Tim Blanks Remembers Fendi’s Fall ’91 Hippies in Fur Collection
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more