Did You Spot Helmut Lang’s Influence On The Fall Runways?

So elusive is the designer-turned-artist Helmut Lang that we recently overheard one party photographer ask him to identify himself for the camera. Paparazzi might have short memories, but fashion creators—especially the young guns on the scene—have the work of the Austrian-born master of minimalism indelibly seared on their brains. The likes of Rad Hourani, Mark Fast, and Alexander Wang were barely old enough to vote when Lang was at the helm of his house, but his urban, industrial aesthetic is proving to be timeless—and timely in tough times. Click for a slideshow, then tell us if you see the connections.

Photo: Marcio Madeira

Comments

1. opinion says:

of course I (we) noticed! but unlike the mimicry of later designs Lang’s work was existential and imaginative. craft not as the opposite of art, but craft AS art.

2. ansexb says:

I do not see the connection.. thin.

3. Mmistry says:

I think the connection is pretty clear cut. Helmut (along with the genius Melanie Ward) is still an incredibly influential force in fashion– even if you only consider that he’s the reason we now see NYC shows in September instead of post-Paris in October.

4. jrseguin says:

a void still completely vacant in fashion week. I understand the references, everyone is looking to futurism, something done by Lang so well in 90s. XO JS

5. Shandy says:

Clear connection!

6. Pure1 says:

I LOVE HELMUT FROM THE 90S !
    AND THE NEW HELMUT LANG COLLECTION IS O.k

7. Pure1 says:

I LOVE HELMUT FROM THE 90S !
    HELMUT LANG NOW IS OK.

FERHAT K , MUNICH

8. nmsa says:

Also take a look at the fall collections and search for the YAMAMOTO effect, as like at Lanvin…

9. llplo says:

Definite connection, but nobody does it like the original Helmut Lang…his collection was my wardrobe staple in the late 90′s and early 2000′s. I still have beautiful suits, pants, tops and shoes from his collections.

10. fashionpicks says:

Yes there is a definite connection!I have found designers’ drawing inspiration from other designers in other instances as well like Victor & Rolf’s Spring 2009 RTW influencing a look each from Valentino and McQueen http://fashionfifthavenue.blogspot.com/2009/09/victor-rolfs-influence-on-designers.html

P Adhikari

11. Shonali says:

Yes, it’s dull, all this obsession to follow up on some cool minimalistic designer. But who can blame them? Don’t they all want GUARANTY of their success? And what better way to cash than to follow a master? I say they’d better try less on a higher quality. But it’s easier to hide design mistakes under assymetries….

12. Lebron X says: