Dusting Off “Survive” To Help Others Survive, Too-------
Last night’s “Hold Your Head Up High” fête, hosted by Mariska Hargitay, Bronson Van Wyck, Celerie Kemble, Amanda Brooks, and Moby, benefited the domestic- and sexual-abuse outreach nonprofit WomensLaw.org, so what better anthem could there be for the event than disco evergreen “I Will Survive”? The guest list included Alice + Olivia’s Stacey Bendet, Christopher Meloni, and Helen Lee Schifter, but the real draw was Gloria Gaynor, on hand to “relaunch” her famous single in the group’s honor. In tribute, all assembled were decked out in enough sequins, faux Afros, platforms, and headbands for a visit to Studio 54.
“I never get to see live music in New York!” Bonnie Morrison said as the opening band, featuring chanteuse Laura Dawn and Moby on bass, took the stage. Architect Richard Meier considered dancing, but thought better of it as a crew of guys with feathered, light-up Trojan helmets surrounded him. Onstage, Moby hopped from bass to guitar and then back to bass for the disco diva’s much-awaited appearance. “Let’s do this!” Gaynor cooed before belting out her iconic single. Afterward, Moby chatted about how it all came together. “We all wanted to be part of a band and so we just started playing together,” the musician said. How about Gloria? “Oh, that was random,” he explained. But pretty spectacular nonetheless.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more