Yea, Nay or Eh: Rihanna’s Front Row Reign-------
Since she seems to navigate the front row gauntlet with such glam savvy, it’s tough to recall that Rihanna is a bit of a fashion-show newbie. She briefly did Paris last year for Fall 2008 shows, attending only John Galliano and Sonia Rykiel. Back then, her looks left something to be desired. (There were some very questionable shoes at Galliano and then a ruffled purple jumpsuit paired with a canary yellow handbag at Rykiel. Nay and nay.)
But this time around, the pop princess is positively ruling the front-row in serious looks that make the picky editorial set swoon wherever she goes. She started the week at Gareth Pugh as a sublimely sexy goth in a stretchy shadow-stripe dress—plucked from the collection that came down the runway—oversize Wayfarer-esque sunglasses and dark purple lips. Then at Balmain, she went gorgeously fresh-faced in a peak-shouldered tuxedo jacket, lace bustier, and harem pants. Yesterday at Vivienne Westwood, it was an oversized tuxedo jacket and groovy, fringed OTK biscuit suede boots.
According to her stylist Mariel Haenn, Riri’s upcoming album cover shoot will feature more “real” attire, but, quite frankly, we love seeing her pushing the avant-garde envelope. The fashion civilians (which most celebrities are) who do it well are few and far between. What do you think of Rihanna’s Paris ensembles? Sound off below.
- Destination Summer: 10 Models Take Us on Vacation
- The Problem With Google’s Driverless Car, Downton Abbey‘s Strange Underwear Rules, and More of the News You Missed Today
- Dressing for Fame: Penny Lovell Talks Working With Taylor Schilling, Sex and the City‘s Lasting Influence, and More
- Editor Obsessions: Rainbow’s Cheap Fashion Thrills
- Summer Fridays: Out of Office With ArtBinder App Founder Alexandra Chemla
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more