August 23 2014

styledotcom In the mood for indigo (and a DIY dyeing project) stylem.ag/1pYnzFY @lauren_goodman pic.twitter.com/fFBGovn2yY

Yea, Nay or Eh: Rihanna’s Front Row Reign

Since she seems to navigate the front row gauntlet with such glam savvy, it’s tough to recall that Rihanna is a bit of a fashion-show newbie. She briefly did Paris last year for Fall 2008 shows, attending only John Galliano and Sonia Rykiel. Back then, her looks left something to be desired. (There were some very questionable shoes at Galliano and then a ruffled purple jumpsuit paired with a canary yellow handbag at Rykiel. Nay and nay.)

But this time around, the pop princess is positively ruling the front-row in serious looks that make the picky editorial set swoon wherever she goes. She started the week at Gareth Pugh as a sublimely sexy goth in a stretchy shadow-stripe dress—plucked from the collection that came down the runway—oversize Wayfarer-esque sunglasses and dark purple lips. Then at Balmain, she went gorgeously fresh-faced in a peak-shouldered tuxedo jacket, lace bustier, and harem pants. Yesterday at Vivienne Westwood, it was an oversized tuxedo jacket and groovy, fringed OTK biscuit suede boots.

According to her stylist Mariel Haenn, Riri’s upcoming album cover shoot will feature more “real” attire, but, quite frankly, we love seeing her pushing the avant-garde envelope. The fashion civilians (which most celebrities are) who do it well are few and far between. What do you think of Rihanna’s Paris ensembles? Sound off below.

Photos: Eric Ryan and Pascal Le Segretain

Comments

1. Diorable_wondaboy says:

Yay, Yay and Yay! As far as I’m concernced this young woman can do almost no wrong fashion wise. Sometimes she does try a bit too hard and it ends up working against her but she looks spectacular in high fashion none-the-less!

2. Sandramw says:

I don’t like Rihanna. Hope her 15 minutes will end soon….

3. Sandramw says:

I don’t like Rihanna and I deteste her music even more. Hope her 15 minutes will be over soon…

4. ShopVagabondNyc says:

She just doesn’t look sincere in what she is wearing, it looks like even she is uncomfortable. But besides what she is wearing, her music isn’t all that great. Remember when she first came out, she was so sweet, now she is some tranny “fierce” mess. Celebrity stylists have got to go

5. shoeluvrr1592 says:

I like them! I think she looks gorgeous

6. shawanda says:

Nah, I think she’s got a long way to go yet. Just a few months ago she was in pasties under a tuxedo jacket, remember? I say her style is, as the French say, bof.

7. marcellaurent says:

yay,I personally think that she has been able to grow as a fahion darling. many of use were not born with pattern book and frabic samples. We have all grown into lovers of fashion. therefore it’s shocking to read comments about her progession into fashion. For what it is, miss rihanna, is “nouveau chic”. elle a arrive.

8. voguecindy91 says:

i love the Gareth Pugh striped dress alot but all the other ones are all right for Paris Fashion week. overall she does have a diffrent style.

9. luluamore says:

I give props for trying…but it just doesnt seem like personal style she is just too trendy..i get dat she is trying to be edgy..but her style is not something new

10. flightofthedreamer says:

She must be a designers dream come true because she will wear just about anything. Is it a bit over the top, yes but we need women like her and Gaga for that matter to transition us into our next phase as a culture, not much different than the Madonna’s or X-tina’s before them. I can’t wait to see where they take us next.

11. marshman says:

U KNOW IN MY OPINION EVERYONE WANTS 2 COMPARE rIHANNA TO SOMEONE OR SAY WHAT SHE WASN’T IN THE PAST BUT GIVE CREDIT WHERE IT IS DO THE GIRL NEVER SEIZES TO AMAZE US SHE TRIES THING NEW & DARING AND FAR OUT THERE AND WHETHER OR NOT SHE HAS A STYLIST OR NO SHE LOOKS AMAZING IN ALL HER PIECES… I WISH BEYONCE WOULD STEP OUTSIDE THE GHETTO FABULOUS BOX!!!

12. akosua says:

at least she doesnt look like lady gaga- cut the girl some slack!

13. adhitawakal says:

Yes, she doesn’t look sincere. Since failed to pull of any of her looks so far in Paris. Her Good Girl Gone Bad tour costumes were also disastrous. She ended up looking like a stripper-cum-S&M freak in her all-black ensemble. She should experiment with new color and try to keep it real.

14. matildalehmann says:

I adore Gareth Pugh but unfortunately it does make me feel slightly nauseous whenever I chance a glance at the picture above.
    While a part of me truly does feel like applauding the girl for ‘pushing the avant-garde envelope’ the rest of me squirms in my seat, probably feeling just as uncomfortable as she looks.
    I feel slightly ashamed to admit that I miss the old days of tiny gold bikini tops with boyfriend jeans…
    At least she seemed happy.

Social Intelligence