April 18 2014

styledotcom The only beauty trends you need to know: stylem.ag/1eHODHt

Yea, Nay, or Eh: The Drape Donners

Last night was a pretty shining moment for newish Vionnet designer Rodolfo Paglialunga. Hilary Swank wore a jade green gown from Resort 2010 to the New York premiere of Amelia, and adorable girl-of-the-moment Carey Mulligan wore a Bordeaux dress from the same collection to the London premiere of her Oscar buzz-worthy film An Education. Though we’re not sure about the nude pump, we prefer Mulligan’s shorter take on the classic Grecian draping—and the quirky addition of a gold floral brooch. But that’s a minor quibble. Both are pretty bullet-proof red-carpet moments. With awards season imminently looming, we could be seeing more Vionnet credits on all kinds of actresses. What do you think of Carey and Hilary’s Grecian formula?

Photos: Ian Gavan/Getty Images, Theo Wargo/WireImage

Comments

1. flightofthedreamer says:

I do not like this look. maybe if was an asymetrical drape. this makes them look like a theater curtin

2. scissory says:

I think that the construction of these garments is absolutely flawless, I love the shapes created around the hip area but I am not crazy about either bodice. Something (especially in Carey’s dress) seems off up top.

3. patricetremblay says:

at least the nude pomps are not distracting us from the beauty of the dress. To my opinion each actress has made the right choice of length according to their age! Well done!

4. empresscat says:

I think both dresses are beautiful. Carey’s comes close to overwhelming her frame, I think it still works…and this is one of my favorite looks ever for Hilary Swank. the colors are perfection for both ladies.

5. IDreamedOfJonas says:

They both looks beautiful! The dresses are really lovely.

6. tr_ro says:

Both dresses are beautiful! However, the red dress with those shoes… love it! she looks great!

7. FrancoiseZooey says:

I like it shorter and I like the addition of the brooch. I also think I like that color better.