August 20 2014

styledotcom Cara Delevingne strips for Tom Ford: stylem.ag/1q0falt pic.twitter.com/TZc7dXgHuw

Yea, Nay, Or Eh?: Lily, No Shrinking Violet

How many trends is too many to pack into one outfit? When newly minted actress Lily Cole hit the press line to promote her new film The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, she seemed to be combining three. Up top, the boyfriend blazer, in a smartly tailored double-breasted version that played nicely off her trademark coppery tresses. Down below, the thigh-high boots that stormed the runways for Fall. And in between—not much, actually. Well, Lady Gaga did her best to make the pants-free look a lock this year, and Lily seems to have signed right up. (It can’t have been too pleasant on one of the chilliest nights so far this season, but the veteran mannequin must be well used to suffering for fashion.) Has Cole hit a triple, or is she tri-ing too hard? Sound off in the comments below.

Photo: David X. Prutting / Patrick McMullan

Comments

1. goddessgrrl says:

I like it! I think Lily Cole has such a unique look, & this outfit sets it off to perfection. Her face is so Renaissance madonna. She’s different without being overtly shocking like Gaga.

2. ToucanBoutique says:

Nay. Those look like thigh high ribbed socks to me, so adding that pinstripe blazer and shorts is just too much.

3. brynmorgan says:

I think she’s taking a big risk, which is always nice to see, but the high boots with the short shorts looks a bit awkward to me. Also, it seems a little too matchy-matchy.

4. s_katjuh says:

I love the tight overknee boots on her! Her legs look endless, which is never bad for a model. The blazer is too long though I think, and hides the hotpants and makes it look as if she is pantsfree:)

5. Zeynerka says:

If the blazer was not fitted at the waist and fell straight down like a man’s real double-breasted, than it would look way much better and she could really ditch the hotpants for a real Nan Kempner moment in the first YSL Le Smoking.

6. Iconale says:

I am not confused so much with her clothes, but more with her face and a hairdress…
    It seems to me that it would be possible to leave from a few not well-groomed style and to finish a make-up and a hairdress…
    Probably, then she would look as a unit.

7. futurefashionzoey says:

It’s not too bad, but i think a bright colored mini-dress would be a better choice.

8. chiitoakiko says:

sleek! Kinda like charlie’s angels.

Proof that things don’t just hapen to be in at once for no reason [they fit]! Ya!

Trend Tracking