Derek Lam’s Postcard From Indonesia-------
For some much-deserved R&R, Derek Lam and his partner, Jan-Hendrik Schlottmann, took off for Southeast Asia (those are rice fields in Java, above), where they stretched, swam, snorkeled—and got a little business in, too. Below, Lam shares the highlights, and a few envy-inspiring pictures, from their trip.
We began our trip with five days at the Como Shambhala Estate in Ubud, Bali, where Christina Ong has created the most calming and serene resort in the mountains beneath the Batur volcano in the lush Ayung River valley. Our routine in Ubud was heaven: two massages each day, yoga at sunrise, and consultations with an ayurvedic doctor from Chennai, India. In the afternoon, we whitewater-rafted, followed by the spiciest fish curry at the local Indonesian restaurant in the evening.
From Ubud we traveled by seaplane to Moyo Island, where we landed on the water in front of the national park (below). Here, days were animated by monkeys fighting in front of our tent at Amanwana, visits to untamed waterfalls, and scuba-diving among the most colorful exotic fish. We even happened upon a giant sea turtle gliding majestically through the pristine waters of the island.
The last stop in Indonesia was the stunning Aman resort at Yogyakarta in Java, where the staff woke us at four to watch the sunrise atop the Temple of Borobudur, a very mystical experience surrounded by endless terraces of rice fields. I imagine that Bali must have looked much like this 20 years ago, with friendly people greeting us from the rice fields as we biked by in the morning heat. In the afternoon we relaxed around the most beautiful pool with the temples always present in the distance.
Duty called, and we had two days of store visits (and some major food excursions!) in Singapore to end the trip. Now we’re back—tan, rested, and ready for New York fashion week.
Flying over the Batur volcano.
The view from our cottage at Como Shambala.
- Editor Obsessions: Barbour Bedale Jacket
- Kesha, A$AP Ferg, and More Reveal All in a Hilarious New Haim Video; Tom Hanks Tops the App Charts; and More of the News You Missed Today
- Selfie Promotion: Timur Kim’s New T-Shirts Are a Social Media Addict’s Dream
- The Ice Bucket Just Got Much Chicer, Thanks to Gisele Bündchen and Mario Testino
- 16 Years in, A.F. Vandevorst Opens Its First Shop
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more