London’s In A New York, New York State Of Mind-------
Have iPod, will travel. That seemed to be the thinking behind last night’s New York, New York party, which hopped the Channel from its traditional home at Paris fashion week and touched down at London nightspot Sketch. “I like to say we were invited by the Queen,” joked Sophomore designer Chrissie Miller, who co-hosted the party with, among others, Grand Life’s Tommy Saleh and Style.com editor at large Derek Blasberg. “I just wish she’d do something about the fucking smoking laws!” That was a taste of NYC many partygoers could’ve done without, but other hometown imports were more popular. When Miller took Jay-Z’s “Empire State of Mind” for a spin during one of her stints at the turntable, there were plenty of British Isles accents to be heard in the crowd sing-along (pictured).
“I just came for the toilets,” quipped menswear designer Aitor Throup, who was huddled in the corner with Erdem Moralioglu. “Seriously—you have to check them out, they’re insane.” He wasn’t wrong. The loos at Sketch are space-age, egg-shaped pods that talk to you. But the real attraction at the party was the company, which included both New Yorkers (Leigh Lezark and Julia Restoin-Roitfeld) and Londoners (Peaches Geldof, Charlotte Dellal, Henry Holland, and Stephen Jones). Turns out the cities aren’t so different, either. “It practically feels like home,” deadpanned Miller, as she grabbed her jacket and went outside for a smoke.
- What to Buy This Weekend: Labor Day Designer Steals
- Abercrombie Loses the Logo, Angelina Jolie’s Wedding Dress Details, and More of the News You Missed Today
- EXCLUSIVE: Barbie’s New Designer Looks by Rebecca Taylor, Tess Giberson, and More
- Get Inked: 10 Models Show Off Their Tattoos
- Mary Katrantzou Liberates the Letter Sweater
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more