August 23 2014

styledotcom Are designers running out of ideas? Or are straightforward clothes a sign of times? stylem.ag/1uSNUd5 via @CathyHorynNYT

Are You A Maxi-nista?

The popularity of floor-length skirts on the Fall runways suggests that the hemline index theory just might hold true, but Adam Lippes isn’t buying it. “Supposedly everything traces back to the economy these days, or Michelle Obama, but I think it’s just a reaction to all the hard looks we’ve been seeing for the past two or three years,” the ADAM designer told us. “It’s a shift to an easier way of dressing.” Lippes paired his billowy maxi dresses with chunky sweaters and slouchy boots, as did Richard Chai. Similarly, shoe-grazing slim knit skirts turned up at Michael Kors and Sonia Rykiel. And off the runway, meanwhile, photographers snapped girls toeing the line between winter and spring in long, bright numbers worn with cropped leather jackets.

Click to see the slideshow, and let us know what lengths you’ll be going to.

Photo: Marcio Madeira / FirstView.com

Comments

1. LeilaSilva says:

I do not think long skirts are a good choice. Legs to show with lengths in the knees are always elegants and feminine. I loved the cardigans and sweaters on knitting shown in the slide show. Blouses, dresses and skirts in knitting, which can be pencil models with ruffles at the hem or A lines, are timeless and can be used all year, because they are Style pieces. They are classicals, have so much quality and durability and of course, are beautiful!

Leila Silva

2. EmilyTheDressmaker says:

I love long skirts, full, ankle or mid-calf length. They are wearable across almost all figures and are easily trans-seasonal. Plus, it’s more surface to play with in terms of proportion and features.

3. edwinanicola says:

I do not think long skirts are a good choice. Legs to show with lengths in the knees are always elegant and feminine. I loved the cardigans and sweaters on knitting shown in the slide show. Blouses, dresses and skirts in knitting, which can be pencil models with ruffles at the hem or A lines, are timeless and can be used all year, because they are Style pieces.
    Discount Codes

4. JustSilvia says:

I think long skirts are a good choice in spring and summer as an alternative to pants when you want to go leg covered. In winter with tighs and so i find them quite uncomfortable (and never match properly with coats)

5. etrouard says:

maxi skirts are elegant and feminine;long skirts add height and slimness to a short body frame. tailored jackets with long
    chiffon skirts can go to the office by day
    and cocktail hour by night.

6. aimeew92 says:

I think the long skirts are great for girls who might be more self-conscious of their legs, or for those who are tired of being constricted in skinny pants. I think I’ll try the long skirt out.

7. WingsKenzie says:

Terrible!need 2 match!might be cheap but that was terrible!can`t beleive their proud of it 2!ugly!

8. Loulouxe says:

I just Love it!

9. ihartstyle says:

I love the long skirts, especially in anticipation for fall dressing. I’ve been looking for a more fitted long black skirt with a trumpeted hem that could be easily dressed up in the fall, or worn casually in the summer with gladiator sandles and vintage concert tee.

Mr. Leader, I think you should have included the caution that a chunky cardigan worn over a long flowy skirt runs the risk of bulking up the silhouette. I’ll wear mine with the cropped leather jacket so as not to lose the ever-so-important waist! It’s all about the waist.
    Hart Hagerty,shanghaistylefile.com

10. Spoiler says:

Short skirts, minuscule dresses like a second skin (Balmain effect)… At last something is changing in fashion!

I saw a similar post months ago (http://www.susanspark.com/2010/02/08/maxi-skirt-trend/)
    and I decided to be a Maxi-Nista

It can be an extension in your wardrobe next to your miniskirts and skinny jeans or even an knee lenght skirt/dress. It has to be none replacement but an addition to your wardrobe. Different styles makes most woman/girls fashionable and stylish. I would therefor go for various lenghts instead of one. So Romney chosing one lenght is never my favorite issue.

12. AAbram says:

Love it! My favorites are Philosophy and The Row. The Row’s look is a more simple, everyday look that would be great going from day to evening. I’ll definitely try it out.

13. sunshine123 says:

I love it, just love it! I love the way full length skirts just look so beautiful….
    I’m glad they’re making a comeback.

14. Aletheia says:

I find long skirts too conservative and shapeless. What is the point of working out and having great legs if they’re going to be hidden under loose fabric? Anything mid-calf is also unflattering as it automatically shortens a woman’s legs and, hence, frame.

15. sjenkins87 says:

I love that maxi skirts are on trend for this season – so flattering and take away the initial pain of baring the pasty pins! Belle & Bunty are doing some maxi skirts I absolutely adore at the moment, I’ve already bagged myself one in a fantastic print; http://bit.ly/c3Sb5F

16. Splenderosa says:

Love them! Especially the filmy ones with a bit of leg showing through. Very chic & looks so much newer & more feminine. Just so over the mini for now.

17. Jasoneum says:

this maxi look is soooooo fall 92′. The nineties are definitely coming back.

18. Sugarmagnolia23 says:

I am very excited about some fashionable long skirts. I work in a lab and you have to stay covered up but I love to wear skirts and it is hard to find some nice long skirts. Can’t wait to get some!

19. mighhv says:

So? This is veri long мода

20. FashionLog says:

Teaming maxi dresses with snug and cosy jumpers will be a defining look for this autumn and winter. The high/low fashion rule means that a glam skirt with a grungy jumper is just the way to embrace proportion and is a striking and directional look.
    Check out the article here:

21. mbt outlet says:

Quantitative methylation analysis identified ABCB1, FOXC1, PPP2R2B and PTEN as novel genes to be methylated in DCIS. In particular, FOXC1 showed a significant increase in the methylation frequency in invasive tumours. mbt outlet http://www.college2.ampleforth.org.uk/styles.html

Now Trending