Diane Von Furstenberg: “The Future Looks Best In Brazil”-------
So many of Diane von Furstenberg’s collections are designed with the globetrotting woman-about-the-world in mind, but until recently, DVF fans in Brazil didn’t have a Diane outpost to call their own. But on April 8, the label opened its first Latin American flagship at São Paulo’s Iguatemi, a veritable luxury mecca—or, as von Furstenberg hailed it, “the only shopping center on earth with a soul.” Last night, von Furstenberg threw a dinner in honor of her friend and Iguatemi CEO Carlos Jereissati (pictured, left, with DVF). It was initially intended to be an intimate gathering to celebrate “family and business coming together,” but family and business in the DVF land can include everyone from Francisco Costa to Cecilia Dean to Kate Young, all of whom braved the unholy weather to make an appearance.
“Of all countries, the future looks best in Brazil,” von Furstenberg said in a toast. “Beautiful boys, beautiful girls everywhere. Brazilian women love everything—and they don’t care about cost!” (True enough: According to all reports, her designs are already flying off the shelves.) The key to a Brazilian woman’s heart? “Something that will make their bodies look good. Something colorful, something you can wear with heels. But most importantly—it must be sensual,” Jereissati said. But, he went on, DVF’s universal appeal transcends the clothing itself: “Diane speaks to the Brazilian woman—and all women. She’s a caring person and very down-to-earth. She represents energy, light, a love of life. You can’t fake that.” But you can give it prime retail space.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more