DVF Goes Deep-Sea Diving At Maison Darré-------
The first day of Paris fashion week is usually judged too early for a bash, but you’d never know it from the crowd that crammed into Vincent Darré’s tiny interiors shop, Maison Darré, yesterday. There—packed to the rafters, almost, and spilling into the street—were Catherine Deneuve, Diane von Furstenberg, Pierre Bergé, Christian Louboutin, Mario Testino, Victoire de Castellane, Olivier Zahm, Inès de la Fressange, Bruno Frisoni, and Silva Venturini Fendi and her daughter Delfina Delettrez Fendi, who is presenting her accessories collection today. (Phew.)
“Sans Queue ni Tête” (a French expression meaning, basically, nonsensical) is the name of Darré’s latest silver and gold-leaf furniture collection, one that looks like 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea—as reinterpreted by Salvador Dalí, that is. Mirrors framed by catfish mouths and treated with silver for an ancient, foggy look, frog bedside tables, and wobbly chests of drawers were among the deep-sea fantasies. Darré was inspired, he said, by a bathroom order from a very eccentric private client. “I began to think about the lobsters Dalí designed for Schiaparelli, which she used for a dress. I started with a lobster jewelry holder… The collection just took off from there.” It was finding some very appreciative fans. Diane von Furstenberg, on the arm of M. Louboutin (left), was ogling a pair of wiggly bronze octopus sconces. “I think I want one of those,” she said before placing her order on the spot.
But even on a rare night off, fashion wasn’t far from the minds of most of the attendees. Elie Top, Lanvin’s jeweler extraordinaire, had stolen away from the house’s accessories atelier, where he’s been working nonstop on the last minute touches for Friday’s show, for a quick visit. “Look what happens when you spend too much time putting on rhinestones with a glue gun,” he joked, holding up his hands in dismay.
tags: Bruno Frisoni, Catherine Deneuve, Christian Louboutin, Delfina Delettrez Fendi, Diane von Furstenberg, Ines de la Fressange, Maison Darre, Mario Testino, Olivier Zahm, Pierre Berge, Silvia Venturini Fendi, Victoire de Castellane, Vincent Darre
- Cheap Monday Takes You Front-Row at Stockholm Fashion Week
- Started From the Bottom: Experts Weigh in on the Cultural Obsession With Butts
- Innocence Found: 1 Granary Debuts Its Impressive Second Issue
- Tom Ford Challenges Nicolas Ghesquière and Hedi Slimane, Drake Delivers His Belated VMA Acceptance Speech, and More of the News You Missed Today
- Legends of the Court: Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Team Up to Make Sneaker History
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more