The L.B.D. Crew-------
If you had any doubts about the power of a little black dress, Halle Berry is here to remind you. “A black dress always makes a girl look slimmer,” the actress (in a tiny black minidress) told us at Swarovski Elements’ 22 Ways to Say Black charity auction at Phillips de Pury last night. Julianna Margulies touted the L.B.D.’s evergreen versatility. “You find the perfect little black cocktail dress; then you just have to switch the shoes and accessories,” The Good Wife star advised. If the stars wanted another to add to their collection, they were in the right place: For the auction, Swarovski and Carla Bruni-Sarkozy commissioned 22 designers to create original L.B.D.s (using Swarovski crystal, naturally) to benefit the American Cancer Society and La Ligue Nationale Contre le Cancer. The inky creations—from a silk chiffon and duchesse satin number with jet crystal beading and cutouts by Givenchy’s Riccardo Tisci to a swingy trapeze dress layered with his signature tulle by Lanvin’s Alber Elbaz—raised $100,000.
But while a black cocktail dress could very well be a New Yorker’s go-to evening attire, Sofia Vergara, who spent the summer in the city for a movie role, played the, er, black sheep—in a purplish gray. “I wear a lot of black in my ‘real life’, but I usually try to wear color when I go out to things like this,” the actress said.
- The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss’ Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today
- The CFDA Celebrates 20 Years of Philanthropy With Maria Sharapova
- Martha’s Vineyard Essentials
- Gia Coppola on Her Family’s Wine Legacy and the Importance of a Screw-Top Bottle
- EXCLUSIVE: Maybelline New York Partners With Made
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more