Sky’s The Limit-------
There are people out there saying Sky Ferreira is going to be the next big thing, but the 18-year-old model and burgeoning pop star seems fairly happy where she is at the moment. “Success is appealing, but the other stuff that comes with it is pretty scary,” she explained last night at Double Crown, where friends (including Jen Brill and Chrissie Miller) came by for an intimate dinner celebrating the release of Ferreira’s new EP, As If. Although the thick-tressed L.A. native is a major buzz item on the Web and elsewhere, she doesn’t turn too many heads during her daily routine in New York—”unless I go to a gay club,” she said.
That may soon change. Both Ferreira and her single “Sex Rules” are featured in ck One’s new ad campaign. The song is reminiscent of early Madonna, and Ferreira has taken on just enough of the teen-idol packaging to make it as a big-time act. On the other hand, she’s keeping some of the required formulas and artifice at arm’s length. “I don’t really look at myself as a pop star—I’m a little more relatable in some sense,” she explained. “I kind of just dress the way I want to.”
Take the video for the catchy single “Obsession,” which has her fantasizing about Reservoir Dogs villain Michael Madsen. “Every pitch I got was like, ‘Oh, ‘Obsession’—with becoming famous, or over a crush.’ And I was like, ‘I don’t want to do that,’ ” she explained. On Ferreira’s list of what she does want to do: more modeling for Calvin Klein, more photo sessions with Steven Meisel, and some musical collaborations. “Probably at the top of my list right now is Fever Ray,” she noted. Until then, she’s got time for East Village nights out like the one on Saturday, that end up at clubs, such as Bedlam, that TMZ has never heard of.
- The 15 Stylish Looks You Loved This Week
- Runway to Red Carpet: Emma Watson, Diane Kruger, Nicola Peltz, and More of This Week’s Highlights
- Raf Simons x Ruby Sterling is Coming to a Computer Screen New You
- Editor Obsessions: Sunspel’s New Side Panel T-Shirt
- Model Elettra Wiedemann Rethinks the Word “Foodie”
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more