The Sartorialist Ponders Street-Style Blogs As Social Documents, The Worldwide Ubiquity of Denim Cutoffs

In fashion circles, it’s a particular point of pride to get snapped by Scott Schuman, better known as the Sartorialist. Schuman—along, of course, with the genre’s mainstay, the Times‘ Bill Cunningham—can take a fair amount of credit for reinventing and popularizing street-style photography as we know it, and he remains one of its sharpest practitioners. Fiat invited Schuman to present some of his favorite images of Italian style for tonight’s “An Evening With the Sartorialist” at the Italian auto marque’s Soho pop-up gallery. (It’s 7 to 9 p.m. tonight at 18 Wooster St. in NYC; the event is open to the public, but RSVP is required at TheSartorialist@framenoir.com.) Style.com called Schuman bright and early this morning—immediately following the Royal Wedding, in fact—to talk street style’s ascendance, history, and aesthetics. He opened with a mock admission: “I admit it,” he said with a laugh when reached by phone. “I’m the designer!” A slightly more factual conversation followed.

OK, so you’re not Kate Middleton’s mystery designer. But if you saw her walking down the street, would you shoot her?
Uh…next question. [Her dress] seemed appropriate for the day.

That seems to be the consensus. In other news, Fiat is presenting “An Evening With the Sartorialist” tonight. What’ll we see there?
Just, like, a mini presentation of images that highlight Italian style. Fiat called me because, you know, I have a particular fondness for Italian style. It’s more about craftsmanship and fit and beauty than it is necessarily, you know, over-the-top wildness. So we printed photographs—we actually printed them probably about four times larger than the ones I usually print. They’re 30″ x 40″, so they’re pretty good-sized prints—beautiful Italian style at its best.

The landscape has changed so much since you started taking street-style photos.
There’s definitely a lot of people doing it. I don’t do it particularly as competition, but there’s definitely a lot of people doing it now and I think it’s great; I think it makes a great historical document at this moment. In the past, there were people like [Jacques-Henri] Lartigue, who shot street style in Paris in the 1910′s, 20′s and 30′s. Pretty much I think he was shooting the very high end. He came from a very rich family and he was shooting the very dramatic, high end of fashion. And people like the Séeberger brothers did the same thing—shooting the very high end, people going to the racetracks and all that. Bill Cunningham really was one of the first to start shooting on the street, everyday people, from some dressed at a very high level to some dressed at a very interesting level of less expensive clothes. But I think a lot of times he tended to go to the more dramatic.

Now I think the next step of that evolution is people shooting everything, from the overly dramatic to the very subtle to the very trendy. The technology gives us the ability to make a great document of this time.

Now all it takes is a digital camera for anyone to become a blogger—even if her only subject is herself.
I’m not really a fan of personal style blogs—you know, the ones [on which] these girls just shoot their outfits and all this stuff. I haven’t seen one that I really like or that draws my attention every day. The good and bad of that is that most these girls only have a limited wardrobe; they don’t have many clothes to shoot and I don’t think most of them have come up with looks that are that interesting, that draw me.

However, I do think that it will leave a great social document for 100 years from now. A lot of these girls are just everyday girls from cities all over America and all over the world, and it will be great to be able to look back and say, “Wow, this is how real girls were kind of into that thing, dressed at that time.” And then maybe historically they’ll be able to pull out similarities. It seems like every girl, everywhere in the world, has a pair of denim cutoff shorts…but I don’t think it’s so much of a contemporary thing but what it will mean historically.

Is that something that you were aware of when you yourself began? An eye to the future, to posterity?
I’d always been a fan of Lartigue, and someone like August Sander was a huge influence…probably August Sander more than anyone else. I kind of understood the potential historical meaning of it, but it didn’t really click to me until I’d been doing it for a while and started getting a lot of comments on the site. When it really clicked is what it meant right now in this moment, and we had photographs that mean something in this moment—that are in one way very contemporary and in another way very historical. With someone like Lartigue, nobody really saw his photographs of these women during that time; these were photographs that were discovered much later. And the Séeberger brothers, when they took their photographs, I think few people saw them and I think they were published in some magazine, some local things, but on a very small scale. I think just in France and very, very small scale, seen by people probably of that same class. Where, here, you have photographs that are being seen from all over the world, from regions all over the world, that are being seen in this moment, but then they also have a historical aspect. So what may be noticed is, when you really think about it, this is the first time—not because of me, but just because of technology and the way it is—these images have something that means something absolutely in this moment, an absolute contemporary expression, but they’re also an absolute historical significance in terms of what they mean, what it captures.

But then in terms of this immediacy, do you feel you are changing the moment? Do you find that people are dressing for you or dressing for these photographers in a different way than maybe they were?
Maybe only at the fashion shows. That’s why I don’t feel like a lot of these sites are competition because a lot of them are just fashion show photographers that go to the shows and shoot there, and nothing happens again and they just run those shots out over the next couple of months until the next shows. And there I think it’s changed a little bit, but I’ve never really been shooting just the big editors. When I started shooting Giovanna [Battaglia] and Anna Dello Russo, nobody really knew who they were, so to me they were just editors like anyone else. And I still push harder to find more unknown people, the girls in the second row, in the third row, and the girls helping dress the shows, behind the scenes. When I was up in Harlem for Easter, those three or four people I shot up there had no idea who I was. So it only changes things in a very small part of what I shoot. I was just down in Savannah, Georgia, and in Atlanta. Garance [Doré] and I purposely try to go out of our way to get different places to shoot where we don’t really care if people know who we are. It’s really about just trying to find something new to shoot.

Does anyone say no?
Yeah, people say no all the time. But that part doesn’t really bother me. When I used to have a showroom and was selling collections, people said no all the time, [too]. It’s just part of the job.

Are there other street-style photographers whose work you like? That you’re interested in?
I think Tommy [Ton] does a great job. I really respect how he’s been able to evolve what he does; he took a big step and took a different format, but I’ve been watching how his work has evolved. Before, he was shooting just very much details of the clothing and the product, and he started to slowly have more faces, more of the people, so I like how he created his own thing but it continues to evolve. I think Mr. Newton does some great stuff. Of course, Garance—she’s a whole different thing. I like the Face Hunter, he just keeps doing his thing; he’s been doing it now for a long, long time. He’s treading in that fashion world but he’s also just in his own thing and I like that he hasn’t really changed. He’s just doing his thing. So it gets more of a respect of people who are really into it and haven’t let the other things affect them. I see Yvan [Rodic] and Tommy, I see a lot of those guys all the time and I like how they keep doing it. The ones that I think really have risen to the top are the ones who are doing it the same way with the same passion from day one, when none of us knew if we’d ever make any money at this or be able to do it as a living. I think those guys are all doing it for the same reason as they were from the first day, and you can see it in the consistency of the work.

Photo: © Garance Doré

Comments

1. disneyrollergirl says:

Always intelligent and inspiring. What I like about his site particularly is that if you click on all the images from the beginning of the blog to now, you can watch fashion changing right before your eyes.

2. addbags says:

Scott’s blog is really the first blog I became fascinated with enough to visit daily. His work is varied and inspiring… and when I am traveling I always refer to his site to get a feel for how I might pack! I wish he’d come to LA to shoot more often! I met him at his book release party and he was so kind!

3. michael kors bag says:

En météo, l’”impression”, le “sentiment” guident souvent notre jugement du temps qu’il fait. En ce mois de mars [[[keywords]]] finissant, vous avez la sensation que l’hiver fut assez neigeux et froid ? Une impression qui n’est pas complètement fausse. Les épisodes neigeux ont en effet été [[[keywords]]] assez fréquents, en plaine comme en montagne. Mais notre pays n’est pas une exception puisque de manière générale c’est toute l’Europe qui a été copieusement servie: de l’Europe occidentale… à la Sibérie. Et le plus étonnant en cette fin Mars n’est pas qu’il neige, mais qu’il neige encore autant sur une grand partie du continent ! [[[keywords]]] Actuellement, les sols sont toujours recouverts de neige au nord et à l’est d’une ligne approximative Dublin – Sofia (Bulgarie) ! La carte ci-dessous indique en bleu la neige au sol. Plus on se dirige vers le violet, plus les quantités de poudreuse sont importantes. michael kors bag http://michaelkorsoutlet.wetriduyou.com/

4. mcm bags says:

The robe fell shamelessly open over the girl’s slight belly, the dark well of pubic hair, the white thighs that seduced him both by sight and pressure. His hand did not wander lower than her waist; but it wandered above, touching those open breasts, the neck, the shoulders.“And you will keep your low humor for your club.” She primly made him walk on.“I know a secluded place nearby. May we go there?”It is easier, Dad, when you are near.” Nor would she leave the house until it was all over, save to walk a little way with her teacher.The said eyes had been turned again upon the statue.“He DID deliver us,” said Desert.president Jimmy Carter.In Canada, we were very close to the U.They want their homes to be as unique as they are and each room to represent aspects of their lives, from hobbies to gaming, the survey shows.One in five say “home office” is a more appropriate name for their dining room, and 43% want to turn their living room into a home theater.
    mcm bags http://mcmhandbagsonline.ecocharette.net

5. mcm bags price says:

mcm bags price http://mcmbagsonline.ecocharette.net

6. mcm backpack says:

mcm backpack http://mcmbagsonline.ecocharette.net

7. coach purses says:

“Thankee, sir, thankee,” returned Sailor Ben, looking as guilty as if he had been detected in picking a pocket. coach purses http://coachhandbags.wetriduyou.com/

8. michael kors selma says:

Seeing our task accomplished so easily, we turned our attention to the other guns, which lay in all sorts of postures in the rank grass. Borrowing a rope from Sailor Ben, we managed with immense labor to drag the heavy pieces into position and place a brick under each muzzle to give it the proper elevation. When we beheld them all in a row, like a regular battery, we simultaneously conceived an idea, the magnitude of which struck us dumb for a moment. michael kors selma http://michaelkorshandbags.wetriduyou.com/

9. mbts says:

This particular shoe comes in a dazzling white colour and surely stands out as one of the picks of the season. mbts http://mbtoutletisinexpensive.webs.com/

10. air max 2013 says:

Amason has just announced a quarterly profit, says he wants as much as $34000000000 in losses, the quarter. But things are always looking for the largest online retailer. The good news first World: first quarter revenue growth of 22% 21,27 million, slightly lower than Wall Street expected. And its quarterly profit of 18 cents per share, double the expected.
    air max 2013 http://nikeairmax.ocboyscouts.org

11. air max 1 says:

The bad news? Amazon has not been a very have good prospects of gain. In eking a profit of $9700000000, the last quarter, according to the report, a net profit of $8200000000, this time. Have a correct CEO Geoff Bezos D? Investors this month, his company is not, in fact, a charity organization. Look back and should not be in the near future: forecast, the second quarter operating profit of $100000. The gains and losses of $3400000. Yes, there are likely to lose one’s $three hundred million quarter.
    air max 1 http://airmax.ocboyscouts.org

12. nike air max 1 says:

nike air max 1 http://airmax.ocboyscouts.org

13. nike air max 1 says:

nike air max 1 http://nikeairmax.servoxusa.com

14. Louis Vuitton Deutschland says:

Brand name is something that many people will want to consider as well. Louis Vuitton Deutschland http://www.bearnews.org

15. cheap neverwinter astral diamonds says:

I want these. I may reccomend cheap neverwinter astral diamonds http://www.cheapneverwinterastraldiamonds.com/ to make sure you any person. I carry our bait at the least Half a dozen times 1 week and they’ve not really gotten ruined. I have got more or less obtained all the chesnut for your full year and they are not harmed!!!

16. christian louboutin sale says:

Christian Louboutin 2013 spring and summer advertising creative. Zhang Jing shot by photographer Peter Lippmann ad cleverly borrowed Belgian artist René Magritte creative, to the sea and the sky as a background, with the surrealistic style shows red-soled shoes and handbags extraordinary charm. Ad, red-soled shoes are hanging hooks as bait, and a girl holding a fishing rod to catch their favorite prey true picture, it is people laughing, while pregnant with meaning. Screen display, including the French cheese-inspired design silver metal high wedge heels, using fluorescent PVC material mixed colors high heels, studded with rivets, golden clutch, etc., brand new spring and summer 2013
    christian louboutin sale http://www.fraudsquadtv.com/banners/louboutin-shoes.html

17. christian louboutin shoes says:

christian louboutin shoes http://www.reloaded.org/forum_old/christian-louboutin-shoes.html

Q&A