Do-Gooding In Technicolor-------
Art and design go hand in hand with fashion, so no surprise to find plenty of style-world names on the invitation to next week’s Museum of Arts & Design gala and auction. Waris Ahluwalia, Tyson Beckford, and Mazdack Rassi (founder and creative director of Milk Studios) are a few of the evening’s co-chairs, and Mandy Coon, Kevork Kiledjian, Kate Lanphear, and Robert Geller all among the host committee members. This year is the Fluorescent Ball, where all things eye-popping are in, from the artworks in the silent auction (like a neon-bright surfboard by Rogan Gregory to Dan Flavin-esque fluorescent-tube art pieces by Julian Lwin, Tapp Francke, and Lite Brite Neon) to the dress code for the night.
Also lighting up the scene: the just-announced celebrity co-chair of the evening, Community and Mad Men actress Alison Brie (left, with an appropriately fluoro-clad Estelle, at Diane von Furstenberg’s Spring ’11 show). Arts education—the beneficiary of the gala’s proceeds—is close to Brie’s heart. “I’ve always been a fan of arts education—my mother works in education, and that’s always been a big priority in my family,” Brie told Style.com from the set of Five-Year Engagement, the romantic comedy she’s filming with Emily Blunt. (Plus, of course: “Tyson Beckford’s gonna be there so you know it’s going to be a fun time.”) As for her fluorescent outfit for the evening? “The dress I was thinking of wearing is a Lela Rose bright orange one. Her use of color is fantastic,” she says, describing the shade as “neon-ish.” “I’ve definitely been to some neon after-hours parties in L.A. where I’ve really gone all-out. I don’t know if I’m going to go quite as…uh, whimsical.”
For tickets and more information, visit www.thefluorescentball.com.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more