Salvor Projects’ Desert Rose-------
For Salvor Projects’ Ross Menuez, if it can’t be made nearby, he won’t make it. When the industrial designer-turned-fashion designer opened his Lower East Side shop earlier this year, he stocked it exclusively with pieces made at his nearby studio.
The local-is-better approach had always ruled out silk pieces from his womenswear collections; silks are more often than not made and printed in the Far East. “I’d wanted to do silk for a long time, and it’s been really frustrating,” he told Style.com. “Almost everyone does silk in Asia, but I feel so dissociated when it’s happening so far away.” But thanks to the discovery of an ink from Fuji—one not intended for fashion purposes, from the same Fuji that manufactures high-end camera equipment—he’s begun hand-printing silk pieces in New York. Mid-November, the first of these new pieces, a range of printed scarves, hits the floor at Barneys New York; this spring, tops and dresses will follow at the Salvor shop.
To celebrate the new addition, Menuez tapped Charlotte Free, the pink-haired model of the moment, for a lookbook. Free’s been enjoying a banner season, shooting editorials for Love and the upcoming issue of V and campaigns for Topshop and Pamela Love. Menuez explained that he met Free through his daughter, India. “We decided to do it with Charlotte before we had even made half of the prints,” he said. “All of those prints were designed specifically for the shoot with Charlotte in the desert.” The images were shot by Keetja Allard outside of Free’s home in Southern California’s Canyon County, where, as it happens, the sun-faded rocks matched the fade in Free’s hair. “She looked like this bizarre rainbow spirit ghost floating around in the desert,” Menuez remembered. “The whole crew was just staring at her.”
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more