Dancing, Kissing, And Collaborating For The Cause-------
Normally, it’s the rest of Coco Rocha that’s the moneymaker, but last night the model relied on her feet. Rocha closed out the program at ArtWalk, the annual fundraiser for Coalition for the Homeless, and having promised to do some Irish dancing if bidders pledged an additional $35,000 to the cause, ended up removing her Fendi heels and doing a real-deal jig.
“It is good to have in the back of your pocket,” Rocha said of her of somewhat hidden talent. (She’s shown it off during Fashion’s Night Out and on the runway at Jean Paul Gaultier, among other places.) The 23-year-old’s fancy footwork certainly helped her hold her own among the evening’s other two headliners, Richard Gere and Alec Baldwin.
At one point during bidding, a would-be donor offered $1,000—but demanded that Baldwin include a kiss. After all, getting value for your money is in these days. “This is a rough time for everybody. Even in my business—which, I’m certainly not suffering, but my business has changed also. So the 41,000 people in New York City who are homeless right now, and a large proportion of them kids—this is a really, really sad time,” Gere told Style.com.
Works by the likes of Jenny Holzer and Ed Ruscha were auctioned off, and Shepard Fairey accepted honors for his marriage of art and advocacy. To benefit the homeless, the artist has created a fundraising print in collaboration with the Robert Rauschenberg Foundation—a recognition, of sorts, of similar efforts undertaken by the foundation’s namesake in his lifetime. Rauschenberg cared, too, Gere recalled. “He was always difficult and ornery, but he showed up.”
- EXCLUSIVE: Andreja Pejic Is in Her Own Skin for the Very First Time
- Editor Obsessions: WWAKE’s Nestled Opal and Diamond Ring
- Of Clothes and Cats: Adrian Joffe and Simone Rocha Have a Heartfelt Chat in Love‘s Latest Issue
- Tim Blanks Remembers Fendi’s Fall ’91 Hippies in Fur Collection
- Ali Hewson and Danielle Sherman Open Up About Edun’s Future
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more