Salmon Fishing in NYC-------
If you think Emily Blunt gets steamy with co-star Ewan McGregor in Salmon Fishing in the Yemen, well, you’re wrong. “I didn’t have a sex scene with Ewan,” the actress told Style.com at the Cinema Society’s unveiling of the film in New York last night. “Oh, god, we just swam,” she clarified. And lo, the screening proved her right. Lasse Hallström’s romantic tale about making an unlikely pursuit succeed in an unusual place) is, in the end, more sweet than sweaty.
And the title is no metaphor. McGregor plays a persnickety government fisheries expert enlisted by an Arab sheikh (and his investment associate, played by Blunt) to bring the mogul’s favorite sporting pastime to the Middle East. “I didn’t know much about fish, and I had to learn how to cast a fly rod,” McGregor explained at the screening, which was sponsored by Grey Goose and Opium Yves Saint Laurent. He added that he learned in Scotland, where guides are called gillies, from a man named Billy: “Billy the Gillie.”
Blunt (who wore Miu Miu) stayed longer after the screening than McGregor did, getting into extended conversations at The Crosby Street Hotel’s basement lounge with both Helena Christensen and Patricia Clarkson. There was salmon there, too: smoked and placed on blinis.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more