Want to draw in a summer fashion crowd? Skip the usual cocktail hours and fanciful outdoor fêtes; instead, serve up Finnish brown bread, pineapple-jalapeño popsicles, artisan olive oil, and white truffle mayonnaise. That combination and more was the brainchild of Paper magazine’s Kim Hastreiter (pictured), who has put food and fashion, often an oxymoron, to the test at the Super (Duper) Market. “I’ve never seen fashion people with their eyes so big,” observed Annelise Peterson, who was hanging with Waris Ahluwalia and Cameron Silver, of the mouthwatering options.
The three-day pop-up super store, hosted in conjunction with Target and American Express, in New York’s Chelsea Market in the Meatpacking District, debuted with a launch party last night that drew the likes of David Byrne, Sally Singer, Warby Parker’s Neil Blumenthal, and Steven Kolb. The latter paused to admire cookies frosted with its own nutrition info and “Subzero” logo magnets by DJ duo Andrew Andrew. “Amazing,” Kolb said simply.
Others were drawn by the food on offer. Kirna Zabête buyer Evren Dogancay had saved up her appetite, while Kate Schelter stopped by after dinner for some dessert (hint: the S’mores pie was a standout). All had big smiles—not your usual fashion flock expression—including Hastreiter, who professed to know her way around a kitchen. “I have a couple signature dishes in the summer,” she said. “I am famous for my ever so slightly cooked heirloom multicolored cherry tomato sauce on spaghetti. And the dessert I am famous for is my fresh peach torte.” She’s so particular about the stone fruit that she goes all the way to Harlem for a specific dealer. “You have to buy before noon because he sells out,” she said. “But they’re the best peaches I have ever eaten.”
- The 15 Stylish Looks You Loved This Week
- Runway to Red Carpet: Emma Watson, Diane Kruger, Nicola Peltz, and More of This Week’s Highlights
- Raf Simons x Ruby Sterling is Coming to a Computer Screen New You
- Editor Obsessions: Sunspel’s New Side Panel T-Shirt
- Model Elettra Wiedemann Rethinks the Word “Foodie”
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more