Running Shoes Get The High Fashion Treatment

In the 1988 film Working Girl, Melanie Griffith’s character famously wore sneakers for her daily commute, swapping them out for heels at the last possible minute outside the office. These days, both designers and street-style notables are leaving their dressy footwear at home and making fashion statements with athletic shoes. And no, we’re not talking about those ubiquitous Isabel Marant wedges. We’re referring to a specific subgenre of sneaker, i.e. competitive trainers made for running sprints (whether they be around the track or on the city sidewalks).

The trend really kicked into gear last month, when Tommy Ton snapped dapper guys wearing Nike and New Balance in Milan and Paris. Similar styles showed up on the runways at the Salvatore Ferragamo, Raf Simons, and Valentino menswear shows. Girls are embracing the look, too. At the opening of Yayoi Kusama’s Whitney retrospective, the artist Kara Walker dressed down her Zero + Maria Cornejo dress with sporty sneaks, while Vika Gazinskaya was among those who wore them during Couture.

CLICK FOR A SLIDESHOW of stylish kicks.

Photo: Alessandro Viero / GoRunway.com

Comments

1. maristella says:

I love this trend! It’s fun and comfy! I’ve seen a lot of Scandinavians wear this trend also, I think even before it started popping up in runways and before the girls from Russia or Tamu McPherson caught on… like the girls from http://www.anywho.dk, they love sneakers!

2. 1DIANNEH says:

I have to agree with you Maristella, being comforatable is of the essance as well as style. I’m a casual atheltic wear-er, but I design quite different from what I aquire.

3. 1DIANNEH says:

I have to agree with you Maristella, being comfortable is of the essance as well as style. I’m a casual atheltic wear-er, but I design quite different from what I aquire.

4. Eau_de_Style says:

Never thought I’d see the day! Snickers managed to get upgraded to a rather chic innovation. Interesting seeing how this trend evolves.

5. SpilledMilkStyle says:

This makes so much sense by the way Isabel Marant’s wedge sneakers have been flying off the shelves. While I’m a fan from afar of the wedge sneaker I can definitely see myself pulling off those turquoise Nikes!

A blog for stylish moms despite all the spilled milk!

6. cremas sexual femenina says:

I have learn a few just right stuff here. Certainly value bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much attempt you put to create this sort of great informative site.

Now Trending