A Maje Moment For Alexa Chung-------
While most Manhattanites stayed in last night to watch the live vice presidential debate, a crowd still turned out to Hotel Americano to toast Maje’s newest campaign girl, Alexa Chung. In case there is any question of American patriotism here, the brand’s founder and designer Judith Milgrom put an end to that debate. “We want to become the most American, French brand,” said Milgrom, who opened the first New York Maje store last October and followed with a series of small stores throughout the city. The focus last night, however, was on one of Britain’s most stylish exports. “I just love the way Alexa looks in the clothes, especially what she’s wearing tonight,” said Milgrom of Chung’s silk top.
Milgrom and her muse certainly seem in sync. “I went into the studio with a sketch of a green miniskirt—and they already had one,” Chung said, in between chatting with her pals like Dev Hynes, Hilary Rhoda, and DJ Alix Browne. Though Chung’s own clothing line has been postponed, there’s no shortage of upcoming projects en queue. On her forthcoming book, she said, “[It's] mainly my style icons. The rest is top secret.” As she watched the evening’s performers, Chicago-based Wild Belle, she said one thing she won’t be doing is putting out an album. “God, no. I can’t sing at all,” she admitted. While the sibling duo continued their act, guests streamed in, coming from another French affair, the Krug House party, happening a little further downtown at a multi-story private town house on West 15th Street. The cause for celebration was, quite simply, fashion’s favorite beverage: Champagne. By 10 p.m., the partygoers (including Byrdie Bell, Genevieve Jones, and the night’s performer MNDR) had guzzled up most of the bubbly and then, it was over.
- Editor Obsessions: Barbour Bedale Jacket
- Kesha, A$AP Ferg, and More Reveal All in a Hilarious New Haim Video; Tom Hanks Tops the App Charts; and More of the News You Missed Today
- Selfie Promotion: Timur Kim’s New T-Shirts Are a Social Media Addict’s Dream
- The Ice Bucket Just Got Much Chicer, Thanks to Gisele Bündchen and Mario Testino
- 16 Years in, A.F. Vandevorst Opens Its First Shop
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more