At 50, Right On Target-------
Target was toasting its 50 years in business in New York last night, but it was not its history that served as the night’s centerpiece. Instead, the retailer and its party guests focused on Christmas future with last night’s unveiling of the Target + Neiman Marcus Holiday collection lookbook, featuring an impressive roster of 24 CFDA designers including Proenza Schouler, Marc Jacobs, Jason Wu, and Band of Outsiders. “I’m so honored to participate,” said Eddie Borgo at the party on West 22nd Street. “This is such a new, innovative way to connect consumers to brands that may seem otherwise unattainable.” In addition to Borgo’s accent box and letter opener offerings, gifting options from Altuzarra, Brian Atwood, and Rag & Bone inspired partygoers to engage in a debate of the non-presidential variety—favorite for-Target designer.
“Jason Wu, no contest,” declared Harley Viera-Newton from the turntables, kicking off the festivities before Alicia Keys treated attendees to an a cappella performance. DJ Brendan Fallis made an equally strong case for another candidate. “I’m completely partial to the Thom Browne blazer. [Thom] is dressing me for the Apollo benefit; I just can’t get enough of his stuff right now,” he told Style.com. Interior designer and author Nate Berkus (celebrating the same-day release of his home decor book The Things That Matter and whose own 150-piece Target collection launches October 21) vehemently agreed. “Thom wins by a landslide. I’m only 5′ 8″ and love that his clothes actually fit me,” said Berkus.
Starting a whole new debate, actress Naomi Watts (pictured) cast her votes for future collaborators. “I would love to see my friend Stella McCartney, Isabel Marant, or Helmut Lang do a little something.” #Don’tWeAll. Until then, the limited-edition collection from the current lineup of designers for Target + Neiman Marcus will be on offer starting December 1 at all Target and Neiman Marcus stores.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more