Musings with Miu Miu-------
Leave it to Miuccia Prada to bring a bonafide “salon” back to London. For three nights only, Mrs. Prada has opened a private members’ club at London’s Café Royal, a nineteenth-century institution where speakers, artists, filmmakers, chefs, and general influencers unite to share ideas. Considering Winston Churchill, Oscar Wilde, and George Bernard Shaw were early patrons, Café Royal was an enlightened choice for Mrs. Prada, who’s an intellectual heavyweight in her own right.
Film, food, art, and, of course, shopping are all on offer at the gilded baroque venue, which, last night, featured talks by Shala Monroque and Gentlewoman’s Penny Martin. The likes of Daphne Guinness, Katie Grand, and Lulu Kennedy sat on velvet couches while discussing the topic of the evening, “female role models,” which, after inspiring a few eye rolls from the gents in the crowd, left everyone riveted in their seats.
Kate Moss, Jamie Hince, Giles Deacon, and more popped by to take it all in, with many lingering in the rooms filled with Miu Miu’s yet-to-be-released 2013 Resort collection. Plus, guests were treated to a special surprise: a collaboration with two of London’s most beloved designers: Vivienne Westwood and Stephen Jones, the latter who, for the first time in his career, ventured away from hats to design a garment. His first sartorial venture? A denim apron.
“Mrs. Prada asked me to collaborate with her, and of course, I was honored to do so,” Jones tells Style.com. “I love aprons, I wear them all the time in the studio when I’m working because I am very hands-on and just make a mess. Aprons really are a symbol of hardwork put in by people throughout history.”
So, is a Stephen Jones clothing line in the works? “Hmm. I think it’s a wait and see—I’ll have to give it some thought, but it must be said that it was fun and challenging to do a piece of clothing for a change.”
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more