Worlds Collide In London, Where Donna And Samba Mingle-------
The world converged in London last night. “I’ve just flown in from L.A.,” said a breathless Donna Karan, “after Barbra Streisand’s closing-night concert at the bowl. The jet lag hasn’t kicked in yet.” Karan has been outfitting her friend Babs for the singer’s world tour, but the customer still comes first, which is what brought her to Harvey Nichols, to launch her own boutique and show her Resort collection. (Nicks’ brass said Karan was the top seller on its international floor last week.) Yasmin Le Bon (left, with Karan), Irina Lazareanu, and biking gold medalist Victoria Pendleton were among those on hand to welcome her.
Meanwhile, across town, another American transplant was celebrating its London debut: SushiSamba, the Japanese-meets-Brazilian chain, which opens its doors at East London’s Heron Tower. Alison Mosshart, McQueen muse Annabelle Neilson, Katie Grand, and Richard Nicoll (left) were among the revelers, as was Style.com’s roving advice columnist Waris Ahluwalia, while Pixie Geldof’s band Violet played a set Mark Ronson spun the tunes. (His uncle, Gerald Ronson, built the tower.) At Harvey Nichols, Yasmin Le Bon was applauding her friend Donna’s knack for knowing how real women want to dress in the real world, but the dress code here was more unreal woman in the unreal world: a clatch of barely clothed samba dancers. “You know it’s a good party when you’re picking feathers out of your mouth all night,” Peter Pilotto said with a laugh.
tags: Alison Mosshart, Annabelle Neilson, Donna Karan, Harvey Nichols, Irina Lazareanu, Katie Grand, Mark Ronson, Peter Pilotto, Pixie Geldof, Richard Nicoll, SushiSamba, Victoria Pendleton, Yasmin Le Bon
- Anya Hindmarch’s New Bespoke Shop at Bergdorf’s Will Connect Customers With Craftsmen
- Style.com’s Dirk Standen Gets Coveteur’d
- EXCLUSIVE: Gareth Pugh Offers Up a First Look at His Disruptive Spring ’15
- EXCLUSIVE: Rodarte Joins Forces With Rachel Zoe
- EXCLUSIVE: Kerry Washington Talks Movado, Dressing Olivia Pope, and That Two-Piece Prada Look
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more