Eye on the Prize-------
There are only 12, and fittingly, they launched on 12/12/12. Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen’s latest project, a dozen crocodile The Row backpacks decorated by Damien Hirst, had the Internet roaring even before they were released last night at Paola Russo’s new Hollywood concept shop Just One Eye. The preliminary buzz was, in part, caused by the big names involved. But really, the chatter revolved around the sacs’ alleged $55,000 price tags. “Damien [Hirst] uses the most iconic pieces and he used our iconic backpack,” said Mary-Kate Olsen, noting that she and Ashley gave Hirst full reign in the design process. “We just supplied a canvas for him and he did what he does best,” Ashley added.
The likes of Erin Wasson, Stavros Niarchos, and Co’s Stephanie Danan and Justin Kern turned out to the boutique to celebrate the launch. And the store proved to be a fitting backdrop for the occasion. “The Row was the first one to follow Just One Eye,” Russo said. Ashley Olsen offered, “I love the concept behind the store. The whole experience is very personal.” Though talk of the backpacks’ price was off the table, the suggested retail value didn’t deter potential patrons of the arts—an eager buyer gingerly toted her new pack around the party.
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more