Yesterday afternoon, leaders in the fields of fashion, beauty, and interior design braved the bitter cold to attend the Fashion Group International’s 16th annual Rising Star Awards. Held at Cipriani 42nd Street, the ceremony served to recognize the brightest emerging talents in a range of creative industries. Ralph Rucci, the event’s keynote speaker, kicked things off, joking that he was “happy to take a little vacation” from preparing his Fall 2013 collection. “You have to switch gears sometimes if you work in a profession where you’re seeking to beautify the planet,” he said. Paper magazine’s Mickey Boardman kept things light when he gave the Accessories Award to socialite-cum-handbag-designer Cornelia Guest. “Since I’m presenting accessories, I couldn’t decide if I should bring my Stella McCartney handbag on stage with me,” he laughed (in the end, he decided not to). Alexandra Mor took home the Fine Jewelry Award for her eponymous collection, which presenter Marion Fasel described as “the emeralds of my dreams.” And in the hypercompetitive retail category (Moda Operandi and Fivestory were among the nominees), Hayley Barna and Katia Beauchamp captured the award for their members-only beauty site, Birchbox.
The highly coveted womenswear awards (presented by Derek Lam) were won by Tia Cibani and Norman Ambrose (pictured with Lam above) for their respective lines. Tim Coppens received the Menswear Award, beating out Andy Hilfiger and Todd Snyder, and Meggan Crum and Mandy Tang were given the Karen Harvey Business Innovator Award for their site TheRunthrough, which connects fashion editors and stylists to product samples. “When we heard about this, there were major eighties dance moves going on in our office,” said Crum. And why not? The big winners deserve to disco.
- The Looks That Should Have Walked the Comic-Con Red Carpet
- At Colorado’s Pot-Themed Wedding, Everybody Raised a Grass
- Editor Obsessions: Moschino’s Irreverent Tee
- Dressing for Fame: Versace, J.Lo, RiRi Gone Rogue, and More Career Tidbits from Stylists Mariel Haenn and Rob Zangardi
- Courtney Love Says Kurt Cobain Biopic Is in the Works
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more