Orla Kiely Gets Techy for Target-------
Not even a broken foot could keep Orla Kiely from the launch party for her new collection of Belkin tech cases for Target yesterday evening. The Irish-born, London-based designer had a little mishap during a recent trip to San Francisco, but she put her best foot forward—in a pair of sensible Marni sandals—and welcomed guests to her Soho store to celebrate. The iPhone and iPad cases, emblazoned with some of Kiely’s signature mid-century-inspired graphics—often florals and prints—were strewn about tables of turf. After all, Kiely loves a midsummer garden party, telling Style.com that they make, “everyone happier.”
That seemed to be the case last night. Karen Elson and Sarah Sophie Flicker caught up over a drink—a bottle of water for the pregnant Flicker—and shared how they didn’t mind the heat because it means “no tights!” Alexa Chung, who rode in on a Vespa, admitted that back in her modeling days, she went on a go-see for a Kiely job. Despite being a huge fan, she didn’t get it. But last evening she landed a different gig: deejaying alongside friend Tennessee Thomas.
Kiely offered that she rarely does projects outside her main collection. So what made this collab so appealing? “Target has so much respect for the designers’ points of view, and I think it shows. If the designer feels in control, that’s paramount.”
Orla Kiely’s Belkin tech cases range from $39 to $59 and are available now, exclusively at Target.
- Lynn Yaeger and Yoox.com’s Rare Discovery Is a Vintage Addict’s Kryptonite
- Tim Coppens, Liya Kebede, and More Join the CFDA
- Editor Obsessions: Heather Huey’s Rhinestone-Embellished Bunny Ears
- From Lanvin to Saint Laurent, Fashion Can’t Get Enough of Edie Campbell
- 10 Things We Learned About Kanye West From His GQ Interview
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more