Runway To Red Carpet: Show Some Skin-------
This abbreviated week, stars turned out in snap-worthy wares that highlighted the age-old red-carpet friend—skin—in inventive ways. For example, in Mexico City on Monday, Rinko Kikuchi arrived at the premiere of Pacific Rim wearing a shoulder-baring Marios Schwab Fall ’13 gown. The night prior in Los Angeles, Nicki Minaj walked the BET Awards step-and-repeat in a Roberto Cavalli dress that resembled the designer’s Spring ’13 show closers. The sexed-up black number left little to the imagination, but it was still relatively tame for the oft outré Trinidadian.
Thanks to the star-studded Couture shows, the runway itself served as a red carpet this week. And there, too, we saw clever spins on skin. At Atelier Versace‘s Couture presentation in Paris on Sunday night, Emma Roberts wore an asymmetric white minidress from the house’s Fall ’13 ready-to-wear range. The clavicle-highlighting wedge at her right shoulder felt fresh. The next day, Dior darling Jennifer Lawrence appeared at the house’s Couture show donning a funky guipure-lace midriff top and wide-legged pants from Dior’s Resort ’14 offering.
And finally, pop goddess Rihanna hit Chanel’s Couture outing on Tuesday in a full-length cardigan from the brand’s Resort ’14 collection. Riri buttoned the sweater only at the midriff, consequently creating a thigh-high slit and navel-skimming plunge. She covered up partially here, though, with a few strands of Chanel pearls.
- Runway to Red Carpet: Emma Watson, Diane Kruger, Nicola Peltz, and More of This Week’s Highlights
- Raf Simons x Ruby Sterling is Coming to a Computer Screen New You
- Editor Obsessions: Sunspel’s New Side Panel T-Shirt
- Model Elettra Wiedemann Rethinks the Word “Foodie”
- Summer Friday: How Two Top Music Publicists Spend Their Afternoons Out of the Office
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more