Runway to Red Carpet: MTV Glamour and a Sultry Spiderweb-------
With Sunday’s MTV Video Music Awards making the move to Brooklyn this year, we saw an interesting mix of Hollywood glamour and Brooklyn’s signature pared-down look on the red carpet. For instance, Ciara shone brightly in a heavily embellished Givenchy Fall ’10 Couture stunner, and Lady Gaga arrived in a newsworthy custom Prabal Gurung gown; however, a few of our favorite looks flew under the radar. Joan Smalls opted for a simple long-sleeve white leather dress from the Viktor & Rolf Fall ’13 runway, paired with strappy black leather Casadei boots, and singer Grimes donned a Versace necklace and patterned pants with a simple black top.
Following her sexed-up VMAs dress, Selena Gomez opted for a sweet Vera Wang Fall ’13 frock with a floral-jacquard print and butterfly peplum skirt for the L.A. premiere of her new film, Getaway, on Monday night.
The following evening, Cate Blanchett walked the red carpet at the Paris premiere of her film Blue Jasmine in a Christopher Kane dress made of delicate cobweb-like lace from his Resort ’14 collection. Paired with a simple low ponytail, barely there makeup, and nude pumps, the heady look was a clear standout on this week’s celebrity circuit.
We should also note that Wednesday marked the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington and Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s historic “I Have a Dream” speech, and all eyes were on Washington, D.C., on this day. While it wasn’t a red-carpet event, the ever-stylish First Lady looked smart and sophisticated when she accompanied her husband to the Let Freedom Ring ceremony in a black fit-and-flare Tracy Reese Fall ’13 frock with a red floral print.
- Dressing for Fame: Penny Lovell Talks Working With Taylor Schilling, Sex and the City‘s Lasting Influence, and More
- Editor Obsessions: Rainbow’s Cheap Fashion Thrills
- Summer Fridays: Out of Office With ArtBinder App Founder Alexandra Chemla
- Through Cédric’s Eyes: Devon Aoki in Jeremy Scott
- The Jungle Book Gets the Hollywood Treatment, a Reason to Toast to Kate Moss’ Breast, and More of the News You Missed Today
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more