Shop the Look: Mad for Plaid
Unlike nautical stripes, island prints, and other on-trend patterns, plaid is associated with a wide range of moods, people, and periods in time. There’s the stiff school uniform we begrudgingly wore throughout our childhood; the “hipster” flannel button-downs lining the shelves at Urban Outfitters; the patchwork madras shorts popular in beach towns out East; and even the old-world tartans of Scottish clansmen. However, as of late, our favorite iteration has been distinctly punk. Marked by slouchy sweaters, second-skin leggings, and clashing hues, this new plaid is intentionally at odds with its preppy past, calling to mind seventies-era Vivienne Westwood and the Met’s Punk: Chaos to Couture exhibition. Worn with spikes, studs, and plenty of black leather, it feels more than appropriate for the upcoming transition into fall. Shop our favorite plaid wares from Marc by Marc Jacobs, McQ, and more, below.
1. Marc by Marc Jacobs Aimee trompe l’oeil plaid merino-wool sweater, $280, available at net-a-porter.com.
2. McQ Alexander McQueen tartan-print leggings, $345, available at shopbop.com.
3. Karen Walker Number One sunglasses, $250, available at shopbop.com.
4. Jimmy Choo Wheel studded suede slippers, $750, available at net-a-porter.com.
5. 3.1 Phillip Lim 31 Hour bag, $750, available at shopbop.com.