Runway to Red Carpet: Athletic Influence and Award-Worthy Style-------
For Hollywood’s TV elite, this weekend was filled with Emmy Award-related activities, from primping and preening to up-all-night after-parties to the actual awards ceremony. Those of us not lucky enough to attend spent Sunday night glued to our TVs and computers to catch all of the action. While there were many stunning frocks on the red carpet, we spotted several equally chic looks on the pre- and post-party circuit, too. Kiernan Shipka, who has proven her fashion chops at a young age, chose a playful two-toned Delpozo dress with structured pleats for a Friday night pre-Emmy fete. Meanwhile, on Saturday evening, Claire Danes attended Showtime’s Emmy Eve soiree in a black strapless fit-and-flare dress with white butterfly appliqués from Lanvin’s Fall ’13 runway. The Homeland star brought home the trophy for lead actress in a drama series the following night.
Over in China, a handful of stars bypassed the Emmys to support the new Qingdao Oriental Movie Metropolis, which is one Chinese businessman’s attempt to create a cinema city that rivals Hollywood. Both Kate Beckinsale and Nicole Kidman donned on-trend black-and-white ensembles to the groundbreaking ceremony on Sunday. Kidman topped a sheer black blouse and sleek black pants with a white blazer, all from Saint Laurent. Beckinsale went with a classic sixties look, choosing a white tweed Oscar de la Renta dress accented with black around the waist. She finished it off with cherry-red heels and a high bouffant updo.
As life in New York continued post-fashion week, the Metropolitan Opera opened its season on Monday with Eugene Onegin. Hollywood stars such as Heather Graham and Diane Kruger wore stunning gowns on opening night; the latter chose a color-blocked dress made of silk duchesse satin from Prabal Gurung’s Resort ’14 collection. With sportswear influencing many of Spring ’14′s collections, this floor-grazing number with clean, athletic lines was a home run.
- EXCLUSIVE: Scott Sternberg Spills About Canceling His Spring ’15 Show
- Yohji Yamamoto Makes Us Want to Be a Part of This Soccer Team, Chelsea Handler Goes Out With a Bang, and More of the News You Missed Today
- Claire Goldsmith Keeps It in the Family
- Dressing for Fame: Kemal Harris, Stylist to Robin Wright and Idina Menzel, on Making Sure Her Clients Never Show Up Naked
- Humberto Leon Weighs In on Natasha Lyonne’s Custom OC Emmy Awards Dress
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more