RxArt: Just What the Doctor Ordered-------
“Art on the wall of children’s hospitals? You’d have to be a monster not to support it!” exclaimed ArtBinder founder Alexandra Chemia from the entrance of Lever House last night. She’s talking about the work of RxArt, the thirteen-year-old nonprofit that held its packed-to-capacity annual party at the Park Avenue mainstay last night. The event brought in the likes of Nate Lowman, Rob Pruitt, Agnes Gund, André Saraiva, and so many others—all for a little silent (and with help from Simon de Pury, not so silent) bidding, champagne, and mingling to support a cause that, as more than a few attendees were quick to point out, is hard not to rally around.
The guest of honor was Kenny Scharf (above), the colorful Pop artist whose video installation project was unveiled on the stairs of the pediatric unit of Brooklyn’s Kings County Hospital earlier in the day. “Basically, I feel very honored to make some kind of light in these kids’ lives,” said Scharf of his involvement. The artist, who’s in between “murals and car bombs,” also donated a customized work for the evening’s live auction. “He’ll paint your garage doors, your walls, your facade, your motorbike—whatever you want him to paint…your body, maybe?” mused de Pury before the frantic bidding began.
“It’s too early to talk, but yeah, we’re planning on doing a hospital project,” revealed a soft-spoken KAWS. The artist is preparing to show in New York for the first time since 2008 this November. “I met Diane [Brown, founder of RxArt, pictured above] a few years ago, and I’m always happy to be involved with whatever she’s up to,” he added. Artist Erik Parker concurred, offering, “It’s a no-brainer.”
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more