The Daily‘s Night-------
Friday evening, underneath the massive crystal chandeliers and amid the rococo decor of the Upper East Side’s Harlow restaurant, fashion’s boldfaced names gathered to dole out The Daily Front Row‘s first annual Fashion Media Awards. The vibe was touchingly familiar, with Tim Gunn introducing TV Personality of the Year Heidi Klum (“I met Heidi nine years ago, and I was a trembling, nervous, sweating, sputtering battling wreck—and I sustained that same demeanor for many, many seasons of Project Runway,” he recalled), Marc Jacobs speaking for the Editor in Chief of the Year winner, Grazia UK‘s Jane Bruton (“She’s the perfect combination of smart, bubbly, and fun—and from what I hear, sometimes a little too much fun,” he joked), and Lady Gaga, in a frenetic finale, presenting Stephen Gan with his Fashion Magazine of the Year award.
Carlyne Cerf de Dudzeele introduced Model of the Year, Social Media, Karlie Kloss, and reminisced about their first shoot together with Steven Meisel, while Jessica Biel and Elle‘s Joe Zee (winner of the Creative Director of the Year) joked about their “first time” (i.e., first cover) together in 2007, and the discovery of Zee’s “sick hip-hop dance” moves in the years that followed. Later, Bruce Weber came to the stage to speak for longtime friend and Fashion Scoop of the Year winner Ingrid Sischy, who was recognized for her John Galliano feature in Vanity Fair. He was quick to emphasize the significance of the fact that—in the age of insta-everything—her story took two years to complete.
“I think it’s actually a great thing to do a Fashion Media Awards, because fashion media really are a part of the business of fashion—and really help in shaping and creating the image of fashion,” said Jay Manuel between texts to DVF (“Looking forward to that show!”). “The people who go behind the scenes typically need to have the spotlight shot on them, so people know who is behind the images.”
- First Karl, Now Cannes: Creatives Can’t Get Enough of the Old West
- Runway to Red Carpet: Dress Hems Are on the Rise
- Required Reading: Parsons The New School for Design Releases Its First Book
- Regarding Susan Sontag: A New Doc on Her Force of Personality and Brainpower
- #CookingWithZac: Zac Posen’s Passover Chocolate Mousse With Hazelnut Oil
about this blog
- style file covers all the news in style, from high street to high fashion, with dispatches from new york, l.a., london, paris, milan, tokyo, beijing, and more