6 posts tagged "Citizens of Humanity"
Colleen Atwood has made a name for herself creating confectionary garments for films such as Memoirs of a Geisha, Alice in Wonderland, and Chicago. She even won a CFDA award last year for her work in costume design. Now, thanks to a new partnership with high-end denim vets Citizens of Humanity, her flair for everyday opulence will be up for sale. This fall, the three-time Oscar-winning costume designer is debuting a collection of luxury handbags produced at the same Italian factory behind Chanel’s arm candy. Three timeless shapes, including an envelope clutch (the Chiara), a structured backpack (the Sojourner), and a shockingly roomy pochette (the Scala), have been rendered in leather, lizard, and haircalf. Her inspiration for the pieces? “It was a combination of vintage-inspired design and having something that could work for all kinds of people and all kinds of functions,” Atwood said. “As a career woman who travels all the time and works, I have the practical aspect of what a person needs. Then I’m exposed to glamorous and vintage pieces. It’s a combination of my real life and my film life together in what I create, so I’ve taken elements from both.” While these purses come at a price point that’s decidedly not par for the Citizens of Humanity course, the partnership isn’t as unlikely as one might expect. Per Atwood: “They’ve been incredible and supportive and have been very great about collaborating—total artistic freedom, giving me the best resources I could have. It’s really been a great marriage.”
Colleen Atwood bags, $2,000 to $6,000. Available from October.
Overalls go in and out of fashion at the drop of a hat (or should that be a strap?), and at times it can be challenging to draw the line between pairs that are chic, and those that are better left to carpenters. But model Tilda Lindstam, snapped during fashion month, proved that she has no trouble distinguishing the two.The Swedish catwalk star paired her slouchy corduroy set with a polka dot shirt, brogues, and a bright red 3.1 Phillip Lim bag. Her look leaves nothing to complain about, so we’ve rounded up four of favorite overalls below.
From left, below:
1. Current/Elliott overalls, $388, available at www.shopbop.com
2. Free People overalls, $148, available at www.freepeople.com
3. Citizens of Humanity “Quincey” overalls, $297, available at www.shopbop.com
4. 3.1 Phillip Lim leather overalls, $1,400, available at www.31philliplim.com
Denim is no doubt having a moment. Models Joan Smalls and Karlie Kloss brought the Canadian tuxedo back in full force during New York fashion week in September, when they took to the streets in denim-on-denim looks that landed them on style blogs across the Web. And at Nina Ricci’s latest Resort presentation, Peter Copping dared to pair a deconstructed blue jean miniskirt with a ladylike cropped jacket of the same material. From Stella McCartney, Balmain, Alexandre Birman, and more, here are six pieces to add a little more denim to your wardrobe (without having to resurrect your decade-old Levi’s numbers).
1. Citizens of Humanity jacket, $297, available at www.saksfifthavenue.com
2. Italia Independent x Care Label sunglasses, $234, available at www.farfetch.com
3. Alexandre Birman sandal, $395, available at www.bergdorfgoodman.com
4. Balmain top, $1,750, available at www.stylebop.com
5. Stella McCartney jeans, $339, available at www.netaporter.com
6. A Détacher dress, $506, available at www.lagarconne.com
To view more looks, click here.
No matter the season, stripes are always on trend. Breton T-shirts and sailor stripe dresses have become warm-weather staples, but now designers like Markus Lupfer and Stella McCartney are offering fresh takes on the classic pattern. From sunglasses to smoking slippers, we’ve rounded up seven striped essentials to set your wardrobe back in line, just in time for summer.
1. Ralph Lauren sunglasses, $309, available at www.mytheresa.com.
2. Stella McCartney Falabella striped tote, $1,149, available at www.saksfifthavenue.com.
3. Band of Outsiders pocket-detailed jersey T-shirt, $235, available at www.net-a-porter.com.
4. Markus Lupfer Charlotte striped dress, $270, available at www.net-a-porter.com.
5. Lacoste Goa watch, $95, available at www.lacoste.com.
6. Citizens of Humanity Charlie super flare, $218, available at www.revolveclothing.com.
7. Charles Philip Shanghai St. Tropez smoking slipper, $135, available at www.bloomingdales.com.
To view more looks, click here.